Alaska Robotics

The (Awesome) Ghost of Bailey Jones

Tuesday, July 14th 2009 by Pat

The (Awesome) Ghost of Bailey Jones

Cayleigh says this is the happiest comic about suicide she’s ever read. It was intended as an experiment in print, a simple story that could be read in different ways depending on how you held it to the light.

I’m not sure why suicide was the topic but I knew I wanted to flip the mood so I started with something depressing. I wanted the reader to lift the page and have the light reveal the underlying story, turning the tragedy into something more lighthearted.

Many comics have pages that create interesting, unintentional patterns and framing in that moment when the page is turned so I thought I’d try to use the effect in an intentional way here. It’s probably been done before but I can’t think of any examples.

I’ve made a pdf file so you can print it out yourself if you like, just print double sided.

The web version is in Flash and it took a ridiculously long time for such a simple project. I think my brain is turning into mush in all this heat we’ve been having.

10 Responses to “The (Awesome) Ghost of Bailey Jones”

1. […] Race, one of our gracious hosts when we visited Juneau during the 50 state tour, has posted a “see-through” comic on his […]

2. Ben V. says:

This is truly a brilliant idea! Well done! I teach a Composition class on comics, and I’ll definitely be sharing this with my class tomorrow morning.

3. Jacob says:

Wow is the character an intentional reference to Tony Jones or is it just a coincidence?

4. Pat Race says:

@Jacob – Nope, never heard of Tony Jones but thanks to Wikipedia I now know more than I ever expected to know about the Magi Nation collectible card game :)

@Ben – Sounds like a fun class, wish I could take it!

5. Snivella says:

Wonderful. Made me sob and smile at the same time. A happy sigh.

6. Pat says:

Thanks Sniv!

7. DC Martini says:

Love it. Amazingly simple yet provocative.

8. Woow!! this is awesome!! I am doing a research on storytelling, will definitely produce your example .. its brilliant how more and more people are experimenting with interaction in narratives.. :).. its fascinating!!

9. James says:

This comic, out of all your comics (yeah read em all) made me cry actual tears of actual emotional distress and sadness…yet it is also the most amazing thing I have ever seen. Congratulations, amazing comic.

• Pat says:

Thanks James, I’m glad you felt that way and thanks also for taking time to run through the archives. I like making comics but it’s comments like yours that make me want to stick with it.