Alaska Robotics

Autumn Installation

Thursday, November 12th 2009 by Pat

aaron-autumn

I used to read a book called “Grover and the Everything in the Whole Wide World Museum,” it must have been an influence here.

I penciled and inked this comic with actual pencil and ink and then colored it digitally. I don’t get quite as lost when I’m penciling with a pencil but I still haven’t found the overall tools or workflow that really suits me. I think I might want to learn to watercolor or try to save up for a Cintiq but it’s probably not the tools that slow me down. I just need to learn to draw better and faster. More sketching!

I’ve had a few holes in my comic update schedule but I’m going to try to get caught up so I can end the year with 52 comics. I feel like that was probably my New Year’s resolution last year. I don’t think I wrote it down anywhere which was a good idea, shackling resolutions with paper and ink is never as fulfilling as giving them the freedom to grow and evolve in the open fields of memory.

leaf-lines

6 Responses to “Autumn Installation”

1. Sarah says:

I love that book. And I’d forgotten about it–thanks for the reminder. And oh so appropriate at the moment.

Speaking of appropriate, did I tell you my museum exhibition is about math in nature, fractals and all that jazz?

2. Pat Race says:

That’s very cool, I was trying to figure out where this thought came from and the best I could do was Grover, your excitement about museum school was a more immediate influence that I didn’t even realize.

Be sure to send some pictures of the exhibit once it goes up, I once did a high school science fair project about chaos and fractals, I’m sure your exhibit will far exceed the pasted up tri-fold I stuck together over night.

3. Rivergirl says:

Watercolors that is an idea I can get behind. I think you would have fun. I would be interested to see what you come out with. Nice comic by the way. I had been wondering when you would be posting.

4. Alli says:

I think you will like the watercolors. I used them as the medium for my last life drawing class and I found them very fast and freeing.

5. Greg Chaney says:

This is a great comic Pat. It works on multiple levels which is always a tough accomplishment.

Also – Great Hands! I’m glad to see that your characters aren’t permanently missing their appendages.

6. glen says:

ah–very cute.
    fall has great colours to play around with, doesn’t it.