Alaska Robotics

Creativity

Monday, February 22nd 2010 by Pat

We’ve hosted a lot of guest filmmakers, animators, and even occasional illustrators for workshops and lectures in Juneau. One of the most regular questions I hear asked of these remarkably creative people is “Where do you get your ideas?” I feel like it’s always followed by a heartbeat, a hidden slice of disappointment, as they work through stock answers in their head.

It’s a hard question to answer, too broad and too common. It almost seems to demand a physical location, some deep, hidden well of ideas waiting to be slopped into a bucket and carted away.

But ideas don’t work that way, ideas are intangible ghosts that appear when you conjure them and often when you don’t. If you’re lucky you can remember enough of an idea’s shape to put it to good use later, pencils help.

I really enjoyed Neil Gaiman’s essay which gives a thoughtful response to the difficult question.

11 Responses to “Creativity”

1. Rivergirl says:

I will have to stop in and buy this one once it is ready.

2. Ninj says:

You should really check out the TED video of Elizabeth Gilbert talking about inspiration, muse and the “genius”.
    It brought me to laughter and tears and also to 3 hours of writing on airplane barf bags I stole from the seats next to me.

3. Cody says:

I liked the comic, and really enjoyed reading through Gaiman’s take on creativity. Further, today, I noticed this from Seth Godin’s blog: http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2010/01/why-ask-why.html

No matter the source of your ideas, let it be known that I appreciate your observations and translations into various mediums video, comic, etc, etc.!

4. Hector says:

2 sources of insipiration. Alaska robotics

and my life.

5. Kay says:

Awesome comic! For a min there, I thought you might be a Discworld fan. This is a recurring message in Terry Prachett’s series, and if you like Neil’s work, you’ll love Terry. (They’ve even written works together!) *smiles*

6. Anonymous says:

In a similar vein to Gaiman, I recall the inspiration particle being a concept explored – or at least referenced – a few times in Pratchett books.